The life and times of the Godfrey ten.

Tico Travel

Although not quite settled, we were already experiencing all the aspects of the Tico lifestyle before the wheels of our Airbus even left the Florida tarmac. We knew travel would be difficult as we planned to arrive 3 hours early, after a quick pit stop at Dunkin Donuts of course. The minute we pulled into the rental car return lot and began unloading our two vans, 2 guitars, 18 carry-ons, (one a personal item), and 18 checked bags, we could tell by the glares and stares it was going to be a long day, as we had planned, but we did not anticipate it was going to be as long as it turned out to be.

After a lengthy, question filled check in with four carts of bags in tow, we headed on over to the lovely TSA screening line, a line not unlike line for Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure, and laid out much the same. As we waited in line, my hands full of passports and boarding passes, I heard over the loud speaker ” every person must carry their own passport, regardless of age”.  I knew instantly that was meant for us. They had already spied us and we were on their radar. Several of our bags were unpacked,ransacked, searched and semi-repacked, several of our bags were re-sent through screening, and one bag got left behind, momentarily. If we could just get on the plane.

Finally, an hour behind our projected schedule we arrived at gate number 5 with 45 minutes to spare, just enough to run our family through the bathroom. It then turned out our 45 minutes kept growing until it blossomed into an extra 90 minutes. One and 1/2 hours late we boarded our plane, one of the first groups on. As the last of the passengers boarded, the pilot duly notified us that we had to wait for a log to get signed off, a process that should take 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes a little more than an hour. He also informed us that our flight would be about an hour and 1/2 longer than usual due to weather.

We eventually did take off, and more often than not we wished we had not. I have flown on dozens of aircrafts, hundreds of thousands of miles, I even spent a year working as a FLIR operator aboard a King Air, and not counting small aircraft, I have never been on a bumpier ride. My seatbelt earned its keep, struggling to keep a 20o+ pound man from crushing his head against the air mask release compartement.The most enjoyable part was watching people race to the back to get to the air toilet between the red ding of the seatbelt light. It was like a game of red light green light. More than one of them introduced themselves to me and my aisle seat on a personal level, but not on purpose. Little did we know our day was just beginning.

the shuttle is loaded and we are en route to the rental car counter in San Jose, my favorite place.

De-boarding, or un-boarding went rather smoothly. The passport line resulted in me being scolded by the agent for bringing all my family forward without permission. Next time I will do better, I promised. I already knew I would be hiring skycaps, because hiring a Costa Rica skycap is like getting an express pass at Disney, right to the front of line. I only had one question thrown my way by the custom agent, with a puzzled head slanted look, “senor, just how long are you staying in Costa Rica?” After moving on, the next adventure was attempting to put two skycap’s full Home Depot style flat trailers into their mini-sized shuttle van. Two skycaps, three Thrifty car employees, one dad and 25 minutes of stacking, un-stacking made it all happen. All of us dripping sweat, tugging pushing and pulling bags in every direction. There was not an empty square meter in that van, including the driver’s seat.

Being a smart traveler, I not only had a GPS but I downloaded a special iphone app with an updated CR map. I even pre-progammed our route. So after an always long  painful stop at the rental car counter, and multiple reminders that I was renting 2 cars we were on our way. My new App loaded and ready Tracy following our gold van closely behind in her small SUV. Unfortunately I had forgotten that when I programmed in the route, that it was from the center of San Jose, the biggest most difficult place to drive in all of Costa Rica, with two cars lanes combined about 70% the size of one lane in America, and no shoulders.  Only 3 kilometers away from the center of “the hood” in the pouring rain, did I realize what I had done, with Tracy in tow, guitars and suitcases on her head,I quickly re-programmed and headed out of the pit. Twenty minutes out of way, we retraced our steps communicating via walkie talkies (that was cool).

on our way out of San Jose, finally!

Two hours into our rainy trip we stopped for a bite to eat at a nice road side Soda, all looking for our second meal of the day 13 hours into the day. Cheeseburgers all around was the plan. Unfortunately they only had enough bread to make three cheeseburgers. So fish n chips and spaghetti it was. We then waded back to our van in ankle-deep puddles and continued on our journey home. Three hours left to travel in the dark rain. Unfortunately, I failed to listen to the App when it said to turn left, and I slammed on my brakes, and deftly rolled into a rare 2 meter shoulder causing Tracy to come within literal inches of smashing into my van. She slammed on her brakes and veered into the opposite lane, her tires slid sideways on the hot wet asphalt as she fought to control her SUV, while battling a guitar case thumping her upside the head. Thank the Lord there was no oncoming traffic.  Thank goodness the agent talked me into the “full” insurance at a “discount” rate. At that moment, I kind of wish we didn’t have the walkie talkies (they weren’t very cool). The next few minutes were not fun. Praise the Lord there was no damage, and other than my pride for being so foolish, we were able to continue on.

local signage, I really like the turtle's sayings. Title "Quads destroy turtle's nests".

close to home

Other than being totally exhausted, the rest of the trip went rather well. We only had to pass about 15-20 vehicles, narrowly missed about a dozen pedestrians and bike riders, and ran over lots of frogs (they looked funny jumping into our headlights). At around 9:30 we arrived at the gate to our residence and met Felic, a very nice guard who could not speak a lick of english, nor would allow us access to our new home. Fortunately our new friend Danielle soon came to our rescue and after two shuttle rides, a late roller coaster style plane ride, a scary dark wet unfamiliar two car caravan, we had a place to lay our head for the next ? years.

Our first view of our new neighborhood.If you look closely you can see Felic at the gate.

a blurry daylight pic of our new home

daylight home

In the next episode of our Costa Rica adventure I will tell you about our house, you won’t want to miss it. Pura Vida.

2 responses

  1. Wow… what an adventure! I’m so glad you’re doing such a good job of blogging all this. Helps us to still feel connected. We love you guys and are so happy for you! Blessings

    June 23, 2011 at 6:04 pm

  2. Thanks so much Glen, you’re all so precious and so missed. Will keep you in our prayers as you get to know the area better and get established in your new community. Praying for some good relationships to be built, especially for your teens. Love Tami

    June 23, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s